Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2) (MP3)

Anger, Sadness & Envy Rev 3

Blackstar of Blackstar Productions and Narcogen of Bungie fansite Rampancy.net run through the first part of the Halo 3 level "The Ark", covering art, gameplay and story.

Show Highlights:

Halo Rail Shooter
Forerunner Portals By Aperture Science
In The Desert, You Can Remember Your Name
Covenant Carnivores
Up In The Sky, It's A Bird, It's A Banshee
Duplo AntiAircraft Guns
Why Tougher Hunters Are Less Scary
Don't Touch That Terminal
Can You Have Too Much Detail?
Crashing Pelicans And Flipping Prowlers
Nonlinear Play (Sort Of)

This is the MP4 (AAC) version of the podcast. MP3 version will be posted later.

Audio file: 
ASE Episode 7 The Ark Part 1
5
Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
Rockslider's picture
Rockslider
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2007
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

A few points here for you.

02:16 - Aim And Fire Entire Space Stations?
Who the heck is this miscellaneous geezer? Please can we have a saucy picture of Cortana instead next time? That would be much more pleasant to look at.

24:36 in Hunters!
Narcogen says "…so sidestepping him for the pistol shot in the back was very easy", and you guys were also talking about Hunter shooting earlier. The thing that gets me is, people always seem to talk about shooting those H1 Hunters in the back, whereas, the key thing is just to score your hit on the orange flesh - which is available not just on the back but also on the front. The most effortless way of killing your H1 Hunter close up is to just back-step from his swipe and shoot him in his briefly exposed front. I wanted to mention this in case there are any H1 players reading here who never realised this. Another advantage of that method is that if the Hunter has supporting enemies behind, his bulk will be partly shielding you from their fire.

39:40 in Fork In The Road (ha ha, good picture)
In regard to those distant Sentinels attacking the covies, you can actually snipe them to help the covies out if you like. It can be quite fun. You can also rocket the left outlet, to prevent any more Sentinels emerging from it. I went into some detail on this in my piece about Mischief over the bowl.

narcogen's picture
narcogen
Offline
Joined: 05/26/1999
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

Rockslider wrote:

A few points here for you.

02:16 - Aim And Fire Entire Space Stations?
Who the heck is this miscellaneous geezer? Please can we have a saucy picture of Cortana instead next time? That would be much more pleasant to look at.

It's a Bungie employee, and he's there for a very good reason Smiling

I assume you actually know that Smiling

Rockslider wrote:

24:36 in Hunters!
Narcogen says "...so sidestepping him for the pistol shot in the back was very easy", and you guys were also talking about Hunter shooting earlier. The thing that gets me is, people always seem to talk about shooting those H1 Hunters in the back, whereas, the key thing is just to score your hit on the orange flesh - which is available not just on the back but also on the front. The most effortless way of killing your H1 Hunter close up is to just back-step from his swipe and shoot him in his briefly exposed front. I wanted to mention this in case there are any H1 players reading here who never realised this. Another advantage of that method is that if the Hunter has supporting enemies behind, his bulk will be partly shielding you from their fire.

I don't know why, I just find hitting them in the back easier and more fun. Somehow it also seems safer dodging the swipe and getting behind him than just backpedaling. Dunno why that is.

That, or getting them at range in the neck with the sniper rifle.

Rockslider wrote:

39:40 in Fork In The Road (ha ha, good picture)
In regard to those distant Sentinels attacking the covies, you can actually snipe them to help the covies out if you like. It can be quite fun. You can also rocket the left outlet, to prevent any more Sentinels emerging from it. I went into some detail on this in my piece about Mischief over the bowl.

Don't think I've tried that-- will have to next time I play.


Rampant for over se7en years.

Rockslider's picture
Rockslider
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2007
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

> It's a Bungie employee, and he's there for a very good reason
I assume you actually know that

Oops, no - I guess I'm not fully up to speed with Bungie employees! I actually thought maybe it was you - hence my cheeky remark. I don't think you mentioned any Bungie person in that section, so I didn't get a clue. I'm guessing he ties into your discussion somehow though.

> I don't know why, I just find hitting them in the back easier and more fun. Somehow it also seems safer dodging the swipe and getting behind him than just backpedaling. Dunno why that is.

To experienced players the back-shot routine is easy of course, with only minimal chance of misjudging things and taking a swipe. I often do it myself to enjoy the bit of skill it takes, and because it's amusing. It can be extra satisfying if you deliver the shot while continuing in the direction you wanted to go (possibly with the pistol zoomed), so the Hunter barely slows you up at all. I like to do that with the first Hunters in AOTCR. You get a nice warm glow of cyborg superiority, and the Hunter looks a right fool, heh heh. So yes, the side-step method is more fun I agree. I'm surprised to hear you say you find it safer and easier though, as the back-step method really does seem comparatively effortless. I suspect most newbies would notice the comparative ease at least. Not that I mind how you kill your giant spikey-backed beasties of course!

> That, or getting them at range in the neck with the sniper rifle.

I was going to mention something about that, but I cut it because I wasn't sure how to describe the target area. I was going to say 'eye slit', but I'm not sure they've got any eyes as such! I dare say you could tell me. Anyway, yes, we're talking about the orange head area. Yeah, I sometimes go for that with the sniper rifle, just for fun. Good place for it is at the underground bridge in AOTCR. At closer range you can sometimes get lucky with a pistol too. I'm thinking for example of the Hunters at the entrance of the tunnel that leads to the bridge. Sometimes they're coming up the snowy path to get me, and I slam pistol shots into their heads. Quite often a bullet gets through, and down he goes.

narcogen's picture
narcogen
Offline
Joined: 05/26/1999
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

Rockslider wrote:

> It's a Bungie employee, and he's there for a very good reason
I assume you actually know that

Oops, no - I guess I'm not fully up to speed with Bungie employees! I actually thought maybe it was you - hence my cheeky remark. I don't think you mentioned any Bungie person in that section, so I didn't get a clue. I'm guessing he ties into your discussion somehow though.

That's Jaime "Case" / "Flawless Cowboy" Griesemer, and amongst the things he is famous for (besides peasants and proving grounds) is a promotional video about Halo 2 where he utters the phrase "entire space stations the player can aim and fire" or somesuch, which I think was a reference to a sequence in Cairo Station that didn't make the game which would have let the player control the MAC gun.

I just included it as an iconic reference for making early mention of things that don't end up shipping.

Rockslider wrote:

To experienced players the back-shot routine is easy of course, with only minimal chance of misjudging things and taking a swipe. I often do it myself to enjoy the bit of skill it takes, and because it's amusing. It can be extra satisfying if you deliver the shot while continuing in the direction you wanted to go (possibly with the pistol zoomed), so the Hunter barely slows you up at all. I like to do that with the first Hunters in AOTCR. You get a nice warm glow of cyborg superiority, and the Hunter looks a right fool, heh heh. So yes, the side-step method is more fun I agree. I'm surprised to hear you say you find it safer and easier though, as the back-step method really does seem comparatively effortless. I suspect most newbies would notice the comparative ease at least. Not that I mind how you kill your giant spikey-backed beasties of course!

Probably I just consider it easier because that's how I started doing it and that's the way I've always done it. I did it because it seemed safer going in behind them, where presumably they couldn't see me. I suppose putting a towel over my head would have produced a similar effect.

Rockslider wrote:

I was going to mention something about that, but I cut it because I wasn't sure how to describe the target area. I was going to say 'eye slit', but I'm not sure they've got any eyes as such! I dare say you could tell me. Anyway, yes, we're talking about the orange head area. Yeah, I sometimes go for that with the sniper rifle, just for fun. Good place for it is at the underground bridge in AOTCR. At closer range you can sometimes get lucky with a pistol too. I'm thinking for example of the Hunters at the entrance of the tunnel that leads to the bridge. Sometimes they're coming up the snowy path to get me, and I slam pistol shots into their heads. Quite often a bullet gets through, and down he goes.

I've spent a fair amount of sniper ammo in all three games going for those eye slits. Even when it seems to register a hit in H2 and H3, it seems to be a crap shoot. I was actually referring to their necks, though. When they do the idle animation where they stretch all their limbs you can get them pretty much anywhere. If you go over the top of silent cartographer you can get the two on the platform outside the map room this way, if I remember.


Rampant for over se7en years.


Rockslider's picture
Rockslider
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2007
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

> That's Jaime "Case" / "Flawless Cowboy" Griesemer

I knew the name at least.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous
Re: Anger, Sadness and Envy Episode 7: The Ark (Part 1 of 2)

Any chance you could put up the .mp3 of this file? Thanks! You rock, man!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate content